Sunday, March 1, 2009

ECMO




Addison has had a rough few days. After holding steady for what they call the "Honeymoon Period" her stats dropped and they were not able to stabilize her on the oscillating vent. They tried giving her Flolan to treat the pulmonary hypertension and it worked for about a day and then her stats were back down. On February 27, 2009 at 8:30 pm, she went on ECMO (Heart and Lung Machine) to give her little body a rest. They told us that she will be on ECMO for 5 - 7 days best case scenario and no more than 14 at worst case scenario. They are planning on doing the surgery to repair the hernia once she is off ECMO and stable.

Jason and I also had her baptized on the February 27, 2009 prior to her having the surgery to go on ECMO. She is being a trooper and hanging in there. Right now, we are just praying that the rest will give her time to build up strength to fight when she comes off ECMO.

One thing that is a positive is that they have reduced her paralytic so she can move a little bit. She is able to grip your finger when you hold her hand and talk to her. I am so proud of how hard she is fighting. She has taught me in the last 11 days what true strength and faith is all about.

13 comments:

Maxton's Mommy said...

Praying for little Addison to continue to fight and for the ECMO rest to be a short one. Thinking of you guys!
Ashley

Craig and Kristi Kuehl said...

Praying that ECMO will give her body the rest it needs to get better soon. She is fighting so hard! I will continue to pray for a short stay on ECMO and a smooth surgery repair. Please contact me if you need anything. We will be there tomorrow :)

Hang in there...there are people all over this country (and the UK) praying for you guys!!

Kristi

paris said...

We are so sorry that Addison had to go on ECMO. She is a fighter and that is apparent. We are sending lots of prayers your way. And a "goody" bag from our class in a few days to hopefully perk you up a little:) Know that we are here for you and supporting you back home. Thanks for the update and stay stong! Mandi Paris (Sonrise)

casau said...

praying for all of you guys and her medical team! stay strong! hopefully she will get the rest she needs!

Jen said...

Praying for Addison to get the rest she needs on ECMO. I'm thinking of you guys!

Jen

Your Gospel-Loving Friend said...

We will be praying! Noah went on ECMO on day 2 & was on it for 6 days, but it was just what he needed to get those lungs going... Now she will have "cool" scars to show all the boys! ;)

FaithCDH said...

Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers. I can remember how scary that ECMO moment was.

Addison is one tough cookie! Keep fighting little one.

Sky + Carla said...

Addison take advantage of the ECMO and rest, so when they take you out you are ready to start fighting and go home soon :)

We will keep praying for you, and you WILL get better. Joseph is watching over you and he will help you fight.

~ Carla

Fer said...

I am praying for little Addison! Hurry baby, let your body ehal so you can have your surgery!

Alex, Ingrid, Alina & Robbie Houchin said...

Many prayers for Addison that she gets to have her surgery soon. Hang in there little one!

Thinking of you all.

Hugs,

Alina, Ingrid & Alex

Liz and Shane said...

Hello, my name is Shane, I am Elizabeth Nelson's husband. Just wanted you to know you are in our prayers. I read this passage a lot when Liz and I were at UCSF:

2 Samuel 22:29

You, Lord, are my lamp,
the Lord turns my darkness into light,
With your help, I can advance against any troop,
with my God, I can scale a wall,
As for God, his way is perfect,
the Lords word is flawless.
He shields all who take refuge in him,
for who is God besides the Lord,
And who is the rock besides our God,
It is God who arms me with the strength,
and keeps my way secure,
He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, and causes me to stand on the heights,
He trains me for battle,
my arms can bend a bow of bronze,
You make your saving help my shield,
Your help has made me great,
you provide a broad path for my feet so that my ankles will not give way!

Burt and Christy Michel said...

Keeping Addison in our prayers. Praying that each day on ECMO is boring. These kids really show us just how strong they are in times like this. Addison is a real fighter.
May GOD bless
Christy Michel

Anonymous said...

We are praying for Addison and for the rest of your family faithfully.

Please let us know if we can do anything.